List of Meat Dishes:
Ingredients for Two Servings:
8 oz. ground beef
1/2 onion, diced
1 cup diced celery pieces
1/2 cup frozen vegetables (peas, carrots, and corn kernels)
1 tsp. chopped garlic
2 tbsp. chopped parsley leaves
1 tsp. minced Chinese tangerine peel (soak a piece of Chinese dried tangerine peel in water until soft, wash and remove the white membrane on the underside, finely chop it)
2 tbsp. flour
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp. tomato paste
2 tbsp. ketchup
1/2 cup chicken broth
Salt and pepper to taste for the filling
3/4 cup milk
4 tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp. black pepper for the crust
3 tbsp. melted butter
3/4 cup one-minute oats from a carton, not from individual-serving packets
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- Put ground beef mixed with 1/2 tsp. of the minced Chinese tangerine peel in a non-stick pan and turn on the heat at medium to brown the beef.
- Move the beef to a plate and discard the excess fat in the pan. Use the same pan to cook the onion pieces on medium-high heat. Add the celery pieces and garlic. Mix well.
- Add the frozen vegetables, beef, the rest of the tangerine peel, salt and pepper to taste, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, ketchup and mix well.
- Add the flour to the mixture and mix well. Add the broth. Mix well until the mixture thickens. Add the chopped parsley leaves. Mix well and turn off the heat.
- In a large bowl, mix the milk, Parmesan cheese, black pepper for the crust, and 2 tbsp. of the melted butter. Mix well. Add the one-minute oats. Mix well and microwave for around one minute or until nearly all the liquid has been absorbed. Mix well after taking the bowl out of the microwave oven.
- Spoon the beef filling into a deep baking dish. Use the back of a tablespoon to spread it evenly.
- Spoon the oats mixture on top as the crust. Use the back of a tablespoon to spread it evenly and make sure that it covers all the edges and corners of the baking dish (according to Mr. Alton Brown) to seal the pie.
- Spread the remaining one tablespoon of the melted butter on the surface of the crust.
- Bake for 25 minutes, let it cool, and serve.
1. If you want to limit your intake of potatoes, this recipe is for you. Instead of potatoes or cauliflower, I created this method of making the crust with oatmeal.
2. This recipe is based on that of Mr. Alton Brown and the Cottage Pie recipe of Ms. Christine Ho. Thanks to both of them.
3. The function of the Chinese dried tangerine peel is to remove the sometimes unpleasant smell of the cooked ground beef. Using fresh minced orange peel is also fine. I have tried both. I found the Chinese dried tangerine peel more subtle.
Written: November 24, 2015
Easy Beef Stew
1.5 lb. stewing beef
3 celery stalks
6-8 oz. sliced mushrooms, fresh or from a can (optional)
1 envelope of dry onion soup and party mix
1 can cream of celery soup (10 ¾ oz.)
¼ cup cooking red wine
1 piece of Chinese dried tangerine peel or 1 teaspoon of orange peel
- Soak Chinese dried tangerine peel until soft. Remove from water and mince it.
- Wash and cut celery into bite-size pieces and put them into a slow cooker.
- Peel and wash carrots, slice into bite-size pieces and put them into the slow cooker.
- Wash and trim excess fat from beef, cut into one-inch cubes, wipe dry, and put into the slow cooker.
- Season beef with salt and pepper. Add diced tangerine peel or orange peel.
- Add dry onion soup mix to beef. Mix well.
- In a bowl, mix cream of celery soup with ¼ cup of cooking red wine.
- Pour soup mixture onto beef. Mix well.
- Cover slow cooker. Turn it on and set it at Low.
- Go to work (for eight hours).
- When you come home, add sliced mushrooms and cook for 20 minutes to half an hour more.
- Serve over a bed of cooked rice.
If you have time, you can season some flour with salt and pepper, coat the beef cubes with a
thin layer of the seasoned flour, pan fry (brown) them on all sides, and drain them from oil before putting
them into the slow cooker. Then please remember to reduce the amount of salt and pepper in step 5 above.
Please make sure that you are using a slow cooker that works properly without any human supervision.