List of Miscellaneous Recipes:
中西合璧蒜香芝士蔥油卷 East-Meets-West Cheesy Scallion and Garlic Rolls
Ingredients (for six rolls) 材料 (六個的份量):
Bread Dough 麵包體 :
2 tbsp. unsalted butter 無鹽奶油 2 湯匙
2.5 tbsp. light brown sugar 黃糖 2.5 湯匙
2/5 cup water at room temperature (divided into 2 halves) 室溫清水 2/5 量杯 (分成兩等份備用)
1/2 tsp. active dry yeast 乾酵母粉半茶匙
1 cup all-purpose flour (divided into 2 portions: 3/4 cup and 1/4 cup) 中筋麵粉 1 量杯 (分成兩份備用：3/4 杯和 1/4 杯)
1 tsp. garlic salt 蒜鹽 1 茶匙
1/4 tsp. baking powder 泡打粉 1/4 茶匙
Filling 餡料 :
2-3 cloves finely chopped garlic 大蒜 2 至 3 瓣
3 scallions 青蔥 3 根
1 tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese 帕馬森芝士碎 1 湯匙
2 tsp. olive oil 橄欖油 2 茶匙
olive oil spray 噴霧式橄欖油
For brushing baked rolls:
1/2 tbsp. melted butter 溶化奶油 1/2 湯匙 ( 出爐時用)
Miscellaneous 其他 :
Flour for rolling and handling the dough 擀麵用的麵粉
Oil for the baking dish and cutting knife 塗抹烤盤和刀的食用油
Method 做法 :
Make the Dough 做麵糰 :
- Put butter and half of the water for the dough in a large microwave-safe mixing bowl. Microwave until the butter has melted. Carefully take it out and add sugar and the rest of the water for the dough. Mix well and let it cool to lukewarm.
- Sprinkle yeast on to the mixture. Wait for five minutes.
- Add 3/4 of the flour for the dough and mix well.
加入 3/4 麵包體用的中筋粉拌勻。
- Cover with a large plate and store it in a warm place, such as inside a closed microwave oven that is not in use, to let the dough rise for one hour.
用一個大盤子蓋着，放到一溫暖處 ( 例如關上門但沒有啟動的微波爐中) 靜置一小時，讓它發酵。
- When the hour is up, add the rest of the flour, garlic salt, and baking powder, mix well to form a dough.
把已發酵一小時的麵粉混合物取出，加入其餘 1/4 麵包體用的中筋粉、泡打粉和蒜鹽拌勻。這是未擀的麵糰。
- Generously flour a large surface and a rolling pin. Transfer the dough to this surface. Fold the dough a few times to make sure that all the just added
ingredients are well mixed. Sprinkle some flour on the surface of the dough. Roll it to form a rectangular sheet of dough that is around 10 inches by 7 inches.
Make the Filling in the Last 15 Minutes of the Dough Rising 做餡料 (上述一小時發酵中的最後十五分鐘開始做餡料) ：
- Peel and finely chop garlic.
- Use a microwave-safe bowl to cook chopped garlic and 2 tsp. olive oil in a microwave oven for 2 to 3 minutes, until the garlic pieces become slightly brown.
把蒜蓉和兩茶匙橄欖油放入一可用於微波爐的碗中，在微波爐中煮 2 至 3 分鐘，至蒜蓉變成淺棕色備用。
- Wash and pad dry scallions, remove the tops and bottoms, and finely chop scallions.
Assemble and Bake the Rolls 做蔥油卷 :
- Oil a baking dish that is large enough to hold six rolls and set aside.
- Spray some olive oil onto the surface of the rectangular dough. Use the back of a tablespoon to spread evenly, making sure that the whole surface is covered.
- Spread the chopped garlic (with the olive oil in the microwave-safe bowl) evenly on the surface, leaving a 1/2-inch margin all around. Spread grated Parmesan cheese in the same way. Spread chopped scallions in the same way.
均勻地撒上蒜蓉 (連剛在微波爐煮蒜蓉的橄欖油)、 芝士碎和蔥花 (四周留約半英寸的位置，不用填滿)。
- In a gentle manner, use fingers to start rolling from a short edge of the dough until a tight cylinder is formed by repeating these two steps: lifting the dough up a little and then rolling forward (so that it is really the dough and
the filling being rolled together, not just moving the filling forward). Use fingers to press the other short edge of the dough on to the cylinder body, so as to close the seam securely. The cylinder should end up sitting on the surface with seam side down.
從七英寸的一端溫柔地慢慢把長方形捲成一緊括的圓柱體(不鬆開) - 捲的方法是重複地稍為拿起麵糰然後捲一捲 (若不拿起麵糰祇是捲動麵糰的話，祇有青蔥在動而麵糰是很難前進的)。圓柱體形成時，把摺缝捏一捏，使它不容易破。完成時讓圓柱體的摺缝朝下。
- With a sharp and oiled knife, cut the cylinder into six portions. Transfer each portion into the baking dish with the cut side facing up.
- Let the dough rise for 30 more minutes in a warm place, such as inside a closed microwave oven that is not in use.
- Pre-heat tabletop toaster-oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (177 degrees Celsius).
桌面小烤箱預熱至華氏 350 度 (攝氏 177 度)。
- Bake rolls for 15 minutes. Take out and rotate baking dish 180 degrees. Continue baking at 325 degrees Fahrenheit (163 degrees Celsius) for 15 to 20 minutes until rolls are golden brown and internal temperature reaches around 190 degrees Fahrenheit (88 degrees Celsius).
放入烤盤把蔥油卷烤 15 分鐘。取出旋轉 180 度。把小烤箱的溫度調低至華氏 325 度 (攝氏 163 度)，繼續烤 15 至 20 分鐘，至蔥油卷表面金黃及中央溫度達華氏 190 度 (攝氏 88 度)。
- Take baking dish out put on a wire rack. Immediately brush rolls with melted butter.
Written: October 14, 2017, Updated October 21, 2017
1. The dough part is based on Ms. Ree Drummond's recipe for making sweet pumpkin cinnamon rolls. Thanks to Ree for giving me the inspiration.
麵包體部份是參考 Ms. Ree Drummond 的甜南瓜玉桂卷食譜摸索而成的。安寶謹此致謝。
2. If you do not like to use garlic, you can try using deep-fried garlic or toasted white sesame seeds.
簡易無麩質三文魚忌廉芝士庵列 Easy Fluffy Gluten-Free Salmon and Cream Cheese Omelette
Ingredients (for one big omelette):
5 oz. canned salmon, drained (around 1/3 of a 14.75-oz can)
Seasoning for salmon (to taste):
Salt and white pepper
Cajun seasoning (optional)
3 large eggs
1 tbsp. almond meal
1 tbsp. mayonnaise or melted butter
2 tbsp. milk of your choice
Salt and pepper for the eggs
1 tbsp. butter and 1 tbsp. olive oil for cooking the omelette
2.5 oz. chive and onion cream cheese spread (flexible, you can use more or less than 2.5 oz.)
The green part of 1 scallion, washed, wiped dry, and chopped
Written: February 15, 2017
- In a bowl, use a fork to break the salmon flesh apart. Remove any bones found and add salmon seasoning ingredients. Mix well and set aside.
- In another large bowl, add almond meal, mayonnaise (or melted butter), and milk. Whisk to mix well. It is fine if the mayonnaise remains as lumps in the mixture. Break the eggs into the bowl one by one, add salt and pepper, and whisk together well. This is the egg batter.
- Add butter and olive oil to a non-stick pan (cooking area around 8 to 9 inches in diameter) over medium heat. Use the edge of a turner to move the butter and oil to coat an area large enough for the omelette to cook later. After the butter has melted, pour the omelette batter into the pan. Move the pan in a circular motion slowly to make sure that the batter is spread out on the pan surface. The batter along the edge will cook first. Use the edge of the turner to move the cooked portion to the middle and dip the pan so that the uncooked batter in the middle can flow to the edge to be cooked. This motion is to make sure that the batter cooks evenly. Make sure that the whole area is covered with the egg batter (we do not want a broken omelette). Do this for a few times after the batter has been poured into the pan. Then when it looks like all the batter is starting to set evenly, stop and let the omelette cook in one piece.
- When the omelette looks it is set enough to hold the weight of the ingredients to be added, use two spoons to add small pieces of the the cream cheese spread evenly to the whole surface area of the omelette. Add the salmon to a half-circle area of the omlette. For example, the right half of the big circular omelette.
- Lift up the pan and gently shake it horizontally. The omelette should be able to move a little inside the pan. A stuck area signifies more cooking needed under that area.
- When the whole omelette looks done, slide the omelette on to a plate (the side with the salmon should reach the plate first). Use the edge of a turner to fold the side only with cream cheese spread (the left side in the example mentioned above) over to the other side that has the salmon (the right side in the example mentioned above) to make a half circle-shaped omelette on the plate. Do this gently and slowly so that the omelette will not be broken.
- Add the chopped scallion on top of the omelette as a garnish (also to cover any part of the omelette broken during the folding action). Serve immediately.
免揉無麩質蔥油餅 Gluten-Free and No-Knead Chinese Scallion Pancake
牛油 ( butter ) 1/2 湯匙
橄欖油 1 茶匙
鹽 1/2 茶匙
白胡椒粉 1/4 茶匙
薏仁粉 4 湯匙
白芝麻 1 茶匙
- 把 2 湯匙的薏仁粉加入，慢慢拌勻至薏仁粉完全融入混合物中。然後再加入其餘的 2 湯匙薏仁粉，慢慢拌勻至薏仁粉完全融入混合物中。
- 開中/小火，把平底鑊放火爐上慢慢煎。要有耐性地不去動它。這樣起碼煎 5 分鐘。到看見餅的邊緣有氣泡要上來後，可用一雙竹筷子小心地看看能不能很容易地把餅的邊緣離鑊。更可慢慢嘗試能不能很容易便能把餅的底面離鑊。這顯示出底面已煎好。
Chinese Savory Pancakes
Amber would like to thank her aunt, Mrs. C. T. Lu, for teaching her how to make these pancakes more than twenty years ago.
6 tbsp. of flour
1 large egg
1/3 cup of cold water
1 green onion
1 tsp. of cooking oil
salt and pepper
- Remove both ends of the green onion. Wash and chop it.
- Mix the first three ingredients together until a smooth batter is formed. Break all lumps of flour apart.
- Add the chopped green onion, salt, and pepper to the batter and mix well.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick skillet until hot. Pour the batter onto the skillet.
- Move the skillet to spread the batter to a desired size and thickness. Pan-fry the batter until it can be easily lifted along the edge.
- Flip the pancake to cook the other side until the pancake is done.
- Cut the pancake into wedges and serve.
This is one of the ways people in northern China get their carbohydrates. Serving these pancakes is a good alternative to serving steamed rice.
Added: January 18, 2007