List of Salad and Vegetable Dishes:
白汁蘑菇瓠瓜 Creamy Mushrooms and Opo Squash
1/2 of an opo squash
4 oz. white mushrooms
1/2 can cream of mushroom soup
1 tbsp. chopped garlic
2 tbsp. butter, divided
1 tbsp olive oil
1/3 cup water or more to make the consistency you like
salt and pepper to taste
- Peel and slice half of an opo squash. Put the slices in a microwave oven-safe dish and cook in the microwave oven for five minutes.
- Wash the mushrooms. Remove the stems and slice them.
- Put the olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter in a pan. Turn on medium/high heat. Add mushrooms and keep stirring until they start to soften. Add the chopped garlic. Stir well.
- Add the opo squash slides. Add the cream of mushroom soup and water. Mix well. Let the mixture thicken and if there is too little water, add more.
- Add salt and pepper to your taste. When the mixture is cooked through and the sauce is cooked to the consistency you like, turn off the heat.
- Add the last tablespoon butter, mix well, and serve.
1. This dish is easy to make and it can serve as a side dish or a sauce over cooked pasta.
2. The butter added at the end of cooking adds to the richness and makes the dish smell very well fresh from the pan.
Written: March 8, 2016
Amber’s California Chicken Salad
I fell in love with this salad at Souper Salad after having it for a few times. The chicken in it is exactly made with the Chinese way of making cold cut chicken. I have figured out a way of making this salad. I hope you will like it as well.
Cooked meat from one skinless chicken leg quarter (thigh and leg)
½ lb. finely shredded cabbage (about 1/3 head)
2 tbsp. finely chopped yellow onion
½ cup shredded carrot (about 1 medium carrot)
3 to 4 oz. raisins (exact amount according to personal preference)
The lemon sauce:
½ cup sugar
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. pepper
3 tbsp. milk
½ cup mayonnaise
¼ cup plain yogurt
1½ tbsp. white vinegar
3 tbsp. lemon juice
- Poach the chicken leg quarter in water until cooked (please refer to the recipe for Cold Cut Chicken on this site). Remove the meat from the bones and cut it into thin strips.
- Mix the dry ingredients for the salad in a container and keep the covered container in the refrigerator.
- Put all the ingredients for the lemon sauce in a blender. Blend until smooth. Pour the blended sauce into the salad. Mix well. Cover the container again and refrigerate for two hours.
自製雪裡紅（Homemade Pickled Mustard Greens）
鳴謝伯母盧王式芬女士指教在美國用新鮮的 mustard greens 自製雪裡紅的方法。
急凍潮州大芥菜（1 bag of frozen chopped mustard greens）
- 用新鮮的 mustard greens 的話，洗淨切碎後亦是同樣處理。
Amber would like to thank Ms. Mally Hance for teaching her how to make the salad dressing. Mally always makes this salad for the internal parties at our company.
1 can (20 oz.) of fruit cocktail in light syrup or pear juice, thoroughly drained
1 can (11 oz.) of mandarin oranges, thoroughly drained
1 can (8 oz.) of crushed pineapple, pressed for thoroughly removing all liquid
1 box (1.5 oz.) of raisins
1 - 2 bananas
12 oz. of lowfat vanilla yogurt
2-3 scoops of whipped topping
- Use strainers to drain all the canned fruits thoroughly.
- Peel and slice the bananas. Cut each slice into two or three pieces.
- Mix the ingredients for the dressing in a large salad bowl. Put in the rest of the ingredients. Mix well.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and store it in the refrigerator until the salad is to be served.
安寶的健康魚香茄子 (Amber's Eggplant in Garlic Sauce)
墨西哥辣椒(jalapeno pepper) 一隻去籽切碎
- 加茄子炒勻，沿鑊邊加酒生抽，加胡椒粉，再炒三分鐘 。