List of Seafood Dishes:
Tuna and Taro Root Pie
Ingredients for Two Servings﹕
1 cup (8 oz) cooked taro root
1 5-oz. can tuna packed in spring water, pressed to remove all the water
1 scallion, cleaned, with ends removed, and finely chopped
1/2 tsp black pepper or lemon pepper
1/4 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
6 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
2 tsp cooking oil
1 tbsp melted butter
3 tbsp Italian style breadcrumbs
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F. Grease the inside of a 3-cup baking dish. Use a small piece of paper towel to distribute the grease more evenly inside.
- Remove the skin from a piece of taro root. Wash, dry, and cut the flesh into slices. Steam slices over a pot of boiling until done.
- Mash the steamed taro root with a potato masher. For large pieces, use a knife to cut them up and keep mashing until all the large pieces are well broken.
- Stir in the drained tuna, pepper, five-spice powder, chopped scallion pieces, cooking oil, and grated Parmesan cheese and mix well.
- Spoon the mixture into the baking dish. Use the back of a tablespoon to press it down against the bottom and sides of the dish evenly.
- Mix the breadcrumbs with the melted butter and spread the mixture on top of the fish-taro mixture evenly.
- Bake for around 15 to 20 minutes or until the crust becomes golden brown. Serve.
Written: October 23, 2015
- This is a variation of Chef Ricky Cheung's Brandade de Morue au Gratin recipe. This recipe replaces potatoes with taro root. If you want to reduce your intake of potatoes, this dish is for you.
- The Chinese five-spice powder goes well with the taro root. The grated Parmesan cheese adds flavor and binds the ingredients together.
- Usually, I buy a large piece of taro root, peel it, clean it, slice it, and steam the slices. I store the steamed slices in a lidded freezer-safe container until I need to use them.
Shrimp and Broccoli in Cream Sauce
5 - 6 shrimp
About 7-8 oz. of frozen broccoli and cauliflower pieces
About 5-6 mushrooms
1/2 of a 10-3/4 oz. cream of mushroom soup
1/4 cup water
Chopped parsley as garnish (optional)
- Wash and remove stems from mushrooms and cut each one into four pieces.
- Put cut mushrooms in a bowl and cook in microwave oven for around two minutes. Drain.
- Put frozen broccoli and cauliflower pieces on a plate and cook in microwave oven for five minutes. Drain.
- Remove shells from shrimp. Wash and pat dry shrimp. Season with black pepper. Arrange shrimp in one layer on a plate. Cook in microwave oven for one minute. Take out and turn shrimp. Cook for another minute.
- Heat soup and water in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir until well mixed. Add all the above ingredients and cook until cooked through.
- Add more black pepper and chopped parsley as garnish (optional).
Written: June 23, 2012